Pageviews last month

Monday, October 17, 2011

A Dark Day for Sports

For those of you that don't know, yesterday Indy car driver Dan Wheldon was killed after sustaining insurmountable wounds from a horrific crash that included some 15 cars. If you didn't see it live or on the news, it was the worst crash at a car race I have ever seen. I understand that is not saying much coming from a guy that isn't a real staunch race fan, but I have seen a few and that was bad. At least 4 of the cars were on fire and 2 cars, including Wheldon's, were actually airborne. Following the accident, Wheldon was airlifted to a local hospital where he was met by his wife, two young children, and his brothers. Not long after arriving, Dan succumbed to his wounds. Dan was only 33 years old and was one of the premiere drivers in Indy. He was a two time champion of the Indy 500 including the victory in that race this year. As I said before, I am not a huge race fan, however; a wife and children lost their husband and father yesterday and for that my heart truly goes out to them. I know how it feels to lose your father. I miss mine every day and wish he were here to give me the guidance only a father can provide. I pray that the family rallies around those two young children and provides the support necessary until, maybe one day, another man comes into the family. Even if you are not a fan of racing, I hope you will take a moment and ask God to have a strong presence in the Wheldon families life right now. Ask that he put a hand of comfort over them as they recover from this sudden loss of their loved one and make his presence known during their sorrow. Also ask that He provide wisdom to the Indy Car Officials as they sort through this catastrophe that they may make the proper decisions for further safety measures to protect future drivers from suffering the same fate.

No comments:

Post a Comment